When you are accused of driving while impaired (DWI) you have the right to act as your own attorney. It is not uncommon for a person facing a DWI to forgo hiring an attorney and represent themselves. Regardless of their reasoning, taking on a DWI defense without legal counsel is risky. If you’re asking do I need a lawyer for a DWI in Minnesota, please weigh your options carefully. Cases that could otherwise result in an acquittal or dismissal might lead to a conviction without the guidance of skilled legal counsel.
Do not put yourself at unnecessary risk. Let a skilled DWI defense lawyer from Gerald Miller, P.A. help you maximize your chances of a favorable outcome in your DWI case. Call now to get started.
Misconceptions Regarding Minnesota DWI Attorneys
There are a variety of reasons why a person might choose not to seek the guidance of an attorney following a DWI arrest. Unfortunately, these reasons are often based on misconceptions regarding defense attorneys or an individual’s chances of success at trial.
One of the common reasons some people refuse to seek legal counsel is concern about the cost. While hiring a private defense attorney costs money, it is best to consider this expenditure as an investment. The money saved and hardship avoided by beating a DWI charge could be substantial.
Other individuals erroneously believe it is impossible to beat a DWI charge. Nothing could be further from the truth. In fact, people that feel this way are at risk of pleading guilty to a DWI charge that could have been beaten at trial.
Finally, other people go into a DWI case convinced they are best served by representing themselves at trial. If you’re wondering do I need a lawyer for a DWI in Minnesota, do not overestimate your skill. The reality is there are substantial risks associated with serving as your own attorney.
The Risk of Representing Yourself in Minnesota
There are countless pitfalls during the defense of a DWI case in Minnesota. If you take up your defense without the help of legal counsel, you are at risk of running into all of them. Some of the dangers that come with self-representation include:
- Lack of legal knowledge. The law is complex. There are a tremendous number of rules regarding he admission of evidence or the offense of DWI in general. Without a legal background or years of experience actively trying these cases, you could put your case at risk based on the things you do not know.
- Waiver of rights. You are protected by many rights when facing criminal charges. However, it is possible to waive some of these rights entirely. If you are unfamiliar with the legal system or lack training in the law, you could waive constitutional rights in your case without even realizing it.
- High stakes. The stakes for a DWI case are high. Even first-time offenders are risking a lifetime with a DWI on their record. Even if you feel you can adequately represent yourself at trial, it is in your best interest to give yourself every available advantage at trial. This starts with hiring a skilled DWI defense attorney.
- Knowledge of local custom. The process of defending a DWI can vary significantly from one court to another. Every judge and prosecutor are different, and only first-hand experience can show you what to expect from them. For example, some judges are far more likely to convict at trial than others. Understanding these differences between courts is impossible if you do not actively practice law in each of them.
- Division of time. Even if you believe you have the skill to take on the state and win, the amount of time needed to build a successful DWI defense is significant. Every minute you spend on your defense is a minute away from your work or personal life. Putting your case in the hands of an attorney allows you to rely on a profession while focusing your time on your personal life.
Discuss Your Case with a Minneapolis DWI Defense Lawyer
You may be asking yourself, Do I need a lawyer for a DWI in Minnesota? Before you enter a plea bargain or attempt to represent yourself at trial, consider a discussion with an experienced DWI defense attorney. You could be surprised at the benefits that come with hiring skilled legal counsel. The attorneys of Gerald Miller are always ready to talk to you about your defense options. Schedule a free consultation today to learn more.